Sunday, March 22, 2015

Response to Boy Marries Hill

           Boy Marries Hill is consider as a piece of drama which is quite easy reading. It only contains three main characters ( which I supposed it to be four include Tapesh’s mother and it will be talk later) and one scene about how the lovers break up. Although it is as short as can be played within ten minutes, I am impressed by the well -developed characters and social problem it reflected while feeling its ridiculous. Here I want to talk about the characters from the the perspective of an only child.
     First of all, I want to talk about the most enriched character even never been shown up, the boy’s mother, whose figure was carved by others words only but lead the development of plot. Through Tapesh’s description we can see she is a kind and brave mother at least in the eyes of her son. She killed her husband for he is violent and harm to her children, raised up children and sent the son to college in America. Up to now, the character of a good mother is successfully shaped, however, a selfish mother is also conveyed. Tapesh said “She always said she wanted me to learn medicine, marry a local hill—I mean girl—and come back to be the village doctor.” From here, we can see her selfish also difficulties as well. She shaped Tapesh’s dream to be a doctor from very young and can only marry local girl. The local girl here obviously refer to girls who live in local area since Darshini is also a Hindu but lived in America. It is not hard to analyze her intention, she had lost her husband, she need her son’s company in her rest life. Therefore, her order for Tapesh to marry a local hill seems reasonable but you cannot deny it as a kind of selfish. Her tough life lead her selfish and later on lead the broke up of Tapesh and Darshini.
     Second comes Tapesh and Darshini. The reason I want to analyze them together is they are at the same level, child level. Tapesh is so obligated to his mother because his mother helped him out of the tough life. However, the obligation he hold conflicts with his love with Darshini. This is also a controversial and common topic in China, especially in Wenzhou. Wenzhounese own a strong sense of regionalism and exclusiveness typically on marriage. Besides, I find Tapesh is not an only child since he said “When I was young she saved us from our father.” It is confused why the author does not set him as an only child. If Tapesh is, his mother’s will to have her son living with her seems more reasonable and therefore the conflict becomes more dramatic. As for Darshini, it is really hard for me to say she is selfish since I am an only child too. At least in my eyes, her lie to urge Tapesh to stay is more reasonable than the lie Tapesh’s mother told. What is more, I also appreciate her choice to stay to work in America at her age, this is also what my true parents want me to do. Sometimes we need to be brave to make decision on our own, parents are important in life but life is not all of them.
     Last is the Pizza boy who I sympathize. I sympathize the poor experience the author set for him. It is easy to see he is set to warn Tapesh does not take mother’s suggestion though he failed. But from Pizza boy at least we can see the author also stand with the view - do not take all your mother’s suggestion.
     There must be some prejudice in my analysis since the reader is an only child, whatever, this is what Boy Marries Hill in my eyes.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I am so sorry that I forgot to copy my response from my documents till I see your comment. Thanks for reminding and I won't do it again.

      Delete