Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Response to three selections of 1001 Arabian Nights

  1001 Arabian Nights is more familiar to Chinese children with another name called One Thousand and One Nights. It is regard as one of the most popular fairy tale in China. Like many other kids, I read the stories by comic book or heard them from my parents. Without knowing any information about the years and the culture of the society when the book was written, I was attracted by those fantastic stories, lost in my own imagination of handsome kings, beautiful princess and animals who can talk to each other. However, after I searched some information about ancient Arab through the Internet and reread it in word version ten years later, I find some new messages conveyed by those fancy stories.
     In the first selection, Story of King Shahryar and His Brother, it describes two brother kings hate women because both their wives betrayed them, and king Shahryar does not trust the faith of women any more. After slayed his queen, he orders his chief to find him different virgin everyday, what the king do is to abate their maidenhead at night and slay her next morning, to make sure of his honor. What shocked me is that this situation last for more than three years till the day chief minister find no women. Why the rest of women choose to run away while no one decides to stand up and resist? My problem solved when I learned the political institution of Arab at that time. With administrative power as its core, the king plays a vital role in the society. Besides, Islam is the national belief and in its religious doctrine, it emphasize the highest right of their leader and no one can betray him, that is the reason women and their family would rather choose to leave instead of resisting. 
At ancient Arab, all people can do is expecting a wise and able king. So in the third selection, Conclusion, the story has a happy ending. The king Shahryar promises his wife Scheherazade would never hurt her and other women in the country anymore. Then the Shahryar becomes the wise king his subjects except, also the citizens of ancient Arab except.
As for the second selection, The Tale of the Bull and the Ass, I am still confused why it was chosen by chief Wazir when trying persuade his daughter not take the risk. Anyway, I still learned that one must be assertive and make up his own decision.
When read a book, try to associate it with its written year and society, we can always find something new and build a bridge to explore a different but charming culture.

1 comment:

  1. Yes. It's interesting how our own experience can influence the way we read texts. I have the same experience, reading favorite books at different ages. Very useful, I think.

    ReplyDelete