It is hard for me to say understand to The Handmaid’s Tale, which is consider as the classic novel of dystopian and earned lots of reputation. In the selected part one, it only described several scenes, seemed to be irrelevant, of handmaid Offred’s daily life. To me, those scenes looks more like a puzzle. With more pieces I find, a totalitarian society with guarded hierarchy slowly comes out as well as my confusion. Here, I’d like to talk about the things happend in the way they went shopping.
Offred met another handmaid, Ofglen, in the same dress at the corner. They have been shopping partner for two weeks. At first I though they were sisters since their names are so similiar to each other and in the same dress. However I find my wrong and how ridiculous the fact is. Their names are the combination of “Of” and the family name of the commander they belong to. They even did not have right to own a fixed name because they were at “Handmaid” level. Every handmaid will suffer two years with different three commanders to be a breeding machine, and every time they get a new name. Later on, I find things more tragic than class system itself, it influence how people think while limit what they can do. Among the conversation they had in the way shopping, we can see that only praise, weather and talking about war in the state’s position is allowed. Pelple are afraid by reported by those “eyes” then lost their last living right. They chose to hide their own idea, attitude and curiosity inside and finaly they lost it like Ofglen, that is what ruling class want. In the process they passed checkpoint, the short eye contact between Offred and sodier suggest their nature wasn’t totally disappear. But Offred did know those sodiers were been changed, they prefer to work hard for a higher rank rather than to revolt the brutal guaraded hierarchy. One question I came across here is that why Offred teased the young soider? Does she believe that is an effective way to inspire the sodier?
All I think after finish the first part of The Handmaid’s Tale is that, the strongest weapon the ruling class own is to use religion to limit their people’s mind. And the greatedst enemy stop people to resist, besides the vested interestes, is the unmatch between their eagerness of equal right and their courage.
No comments:
Post a Comment